RECIPES: Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil (plus more for grilling sandwich)
- 1 large red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- salt (to taste)
- freshly cracked pepper (to taste)
- 6-8 strips bacon
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, grated (packed well)
- 1 apple
- 4 slices of Thomas’ Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Over medium heat in a medium to large sauté pan, heat one teaspoon olive oil. Add onions and a few pinches of salt and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bacon on rimmed baking sheet and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until bacon is crisp. Place bacon on paper towel lined plate and dab dry.
- After red onions have cooked 10 minutes, add a few pinches of freshly cracked black pepper. Continue to cook until transparent, golden and caramelized.
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees. While onions and bacon are finishing, shred cheese and apples. Chop bacon. Add finished onions, bacon, grated cheese and apples in medium bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- Once griddle is preheated, dress one side of each slice of Thomas’ Cinnamon Swirl Bread with olive oil (you may use butter instead). Place oiled Thomas’ Cinnamon Swirl Bread on griddle and place a heaping 1 cup of mixture on bread.
- Top with second slice of bread. Cook each side for approximately 4 minutes or until crispy and golden on outside. Repeat to make other sandwich. Slice in half and serve.
Makes two grilled cheese sandwiches.
Recipe courtesy of Thomas Breads.