2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet
6 tablespoons salted butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon 100% baking cocoa
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE TOPPING
1/2 cup (3 ounces) semisweet
1/4 teaspoon vegetable shortening
or coconut oil
YIELD 15 cookies
PREP 25 minutes
BAKE 11 minutes
Large and small scoops
What’s not to like about buckeyes—those small peanut butter balls surrounded
by creamy milk chocolate? I’ll tell you: They’re labor intensive! So, one
holiday season, when my to-do list outdistanced my time, I decided to create something
quick and easy with the same terrific taste. These cookies take half as long to make as
buckeyes, are less messy to eat, and deliver the same peanut buttery chocolate taste we
all know and love. That first Christmas, no one even missed the buckeyes, and I had a
few precious moments to myself to relax. P.S. I haven’t made traditional buckeyes since.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a sheet pan and set aside.
- PREPARE THE BROWNIE COOKIES: Microwave chocolate chips and butter
In microwave-safe bowl on high for 30 seconds; remove and stir. Return
to the microwave if not thoroughly melted, and microwave in 15-second
intervals until smooth and creamy.
- Use an electric mixer set on the lowest speed or spatula to mix together the
eggs, vanilla, and sugar in a separate bowl. Blend the egg mixture into the
melted chocolate mixture. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa,
and mix thoroughly.
- Use a large scoop to measure portions of the batter onto the prepared sheet
pan. Bake for 11 minutes, or until center is set and edges begin to crisp.
Allow to cool completely.
- PREPARE THE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING: Mix together the peanut butter and
confectioners’ sugar. Mix until blended.
- Use a small scoop to measure portions of the peanut butter filling and roll
them into small balls by hand. Press a ball of the peanut butter filling into
the center of each brownie cookie.
- PREPARE THE SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE TOPPING: Microwave the chocolate
chips and shortening as per step 2.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the melted chocolate topping onto the center of the
peanut butter mixture. Let cool for 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
Recipe from Sheila G’s Butter and Chocolate by Sheila G. Mains. Published by Kyle Books.