YIELD 32 bonbons
PREP 25 minutes
BAKE 25 minutes
Is there a better marriage of flavors than cherry and chocolate? Nope! And this
recipe brings these soul mates together in a bitter-and-sweet fusion of semisweet
and dark chocolate plus maraschino cherries. Fall in love with dessert all over again.
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet
6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon 100% baking cocoa
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
DARK CHOCOLATE DIP
2 cups (12 ounces) dark chocolate
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vegetable shortening
or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan and set aside.
- PREPARE THE BROWNIE BATTER: Microwave the chocolate chips and butter
in microwave-safe bowl on high for 30 seconds; remove and stir. Return
to the microwave if not thoroughly melted, and microwave in 15-second
intervals until smooth and creamy.
- Use an electric mixer set on the lowest speed or a spatula to mix together
eggs, vanilla, and sugar in a separate bowl. Blend egg mixture into the
melted chocolate mixture. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa and
mix well by hand or using lowest setting on mixer. Pour batter into the
prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, until slightly underbaked. Set aside
- Drain the cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons of the liquid. Cut cherries into
quarters and set aside.
- Remove the cooled brownie from pan and trim away the crisp edges. Put
the brownie in a large a mixing bowl (it’s okay if it breaks into pieces)
and add 1 tablespoon of cherry juice. Mix thoroughly using an electric
mixer until the consistency is pliable enough to form small balls. Mix in
remaining tablespoon of cherry juice, if needed.
- Fill half of a small scoop with brownie mixture. Place a piece of cherry
in the center, and then fill the remainder of the scoop with the brownie
mixture. Form into a small ball by hand, and repeat with rest of the brownie
mixture and cherries. Freeze the bonbons for 30 minutes.
- PREPARE THE CHOCOLATE FOR DIPPING: Melt chocolate chips and 1/4 teaspoon
of the shortening as per step 2. Stir in another 1/4 teaspoon of shortening if
the chocolate mixture is too thick.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Dip chilled bonbons in
the melted chocolate mixture and place them on the prepared baking sheet
until chocolate sets. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe from Sheila G’s Butter and Chocolate by Sheila G. Mains. Published by Kyle Books.