YIELD 8 to 10 servings
PREP 15 minutes
BAKE 50 minutes
This recent addition to our family’s holiday fare was a H-U-G-E hit! It’s spicy,
sweet flavor and rich, creamy texture are what you’d expect from a much more
complicated recipe. But it really is a breeze to make. Guess you could say it’s as easy as
pie. And who doesn’t appreciate easy around the holidays? Or, pie for that matter!
BROWNIE BRITTLE CRUST
11/2 cups BROWNIE BRITTLE
(one 5-ounce bag = 1 cup crushed)
or chocolate wafers crushed in
a food processor
6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- PREPARE THE BROWNIE BRITTLE CRUST: Mix the crushed BROWNIE
BRITTLE with the melted butter. Press the crumb mixture firmly and
evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes
and set aside to cool. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
- PREPARE THE PUMPKIN FILLING: Combine the pumpkin, cloves, ginger,
nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a small saucepan. Stir and cook over low
heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs thoroughly in a bowl and then mix in the sweetened
condensed milk. Add the cooled pumpkin and spice mixture to the egg
mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake an additional 35 minutes
or until center appears to be set.
- Allow the pie to cool completely, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe from Sheila G’s Butter and Chocolate by Sheila G. Mains. Published by Kyle Books.