RECIPES: The Wellington’s Caramel Apple Pie
Wellington Caramel Apple Pie
1 Wholly Wholesome piecrust
1/4 cup caramel
1 small pinch of sea salt
8 cups of sliced, cored and peeled apples (different types)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter
1 egg yolk with a splash of water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Cut your pre made Wholly Wholesome piecrust to fit your pie plate, making sure you have plenty of pie crust hanging over the edge of your plate so you can partially fold over filling. Brush the bottom of the pie crust with caramel and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss Filling ingredients, except egg mixture. Pour into pie plate. Brush the edges with the egg yolk mixture.
- In a medium bowl, use fingers to mix butter, 1 cup flour, brown sugar and granola (optional), until a crumble forms. Sprinkle evenly over top of pie.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until piecrust and crumb topping are deep, golden brown and the filling begins to bubble. Transfer to cooling rack and cool. Drizzle with remaining caramel and serve with ice cream.