Overtime shocker: No. 3 Indiana falls to IPFW 71-68

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORT WAYNE, IN - NOVEMBER 22: James Blackmon Jr. #1 of the Indiana Hoosiers goes up for a shot against Xzavier Taylor #22 of the Fort Wayne Mastodons at Memorial Coliseum on November 22, 2016 in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. (Photo by Michael Hickey/Getty Images)

FORT WAYNE, Ind. — The No. 3¬†Indiana Hoosiers were knocked off in overtime by intrastate rival IPFW Tuesday night, 71-68.

From the opening tip, the Mastodons came out thundering, dominating the first half in front of a sold-out crowd at Allen War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne.

IPFW would lead 38-36 at halftime, and IU would have to rely on a late second half surge to stay alive. The Hoosiers outscored IPFW 16-4 in the final 9:49 of regulation to force overtime. With 2:15 remaining and IPFW leading 65-60, Hoosiers newcomer Josh Newkirk would hit a three-pointer to pull within two. IU’s sophomore center Thomas Bryant would hit back-to-back free throws in the final 20 seconds to tie it at 65 and force overtime.

Kason Harrell would keep momentum moving for the Mastodons, opening overtime with a three-pointer. Indiana would respond with a three of their own from Robert Johnson. The Mastodons would continue their suffocating defensive play and hold IU to just three points in overtime and capitalize on free throw opportunities to hang on for the 71-68 upset.

IPFW junior guard Bryson Scott led the team in scoring with 18 points. Bryant led IU with 18 points and 12 rebounds. Johnson totaled 16 points and six rebounds, while James Blackmon Jr. and Newkirk each had 13 points in the Hoosiers effort.

The next opponent for both teams will be Mississippi Valley State. IPFW will host the Delta Devils on Saturday. Then MVSU will head south to Bloomington for a Sunday afternoon contest against the Hoosiers at Assembly Hall.