INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Two workers with the Indianapolis Department of Public Works were transported to the hospital after a chemical spill on the city’s southeast side.
IFD officials say DPW picked up two gallons of muriatic acid from a residence in the 3300 block of Busy Bee Lane on Wednesday around 8 a.m.
The fumes from the muriatic acid overcame two of the workers as the trash was compacted.
“A resident placed the acid in a trash bag and it was picked up by the trash truck and dumped into the back. It was mixed with chemicals after it was crushed,” said DPW spokesman Warren Stokes.
When the crews saw the bottle of acid in the truck, they called for backup.
” Our solid waste team is trained to identify those types of materials but they are not trained to handle them,” said Stokes.
Both of the workers suffered respiratory issues, and they were transported to St. Francis Hospital. Both have been released.