INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.-- Officials shut down Michigan Street between Meridian and Illinois streets in downtown Indy Friday due to a small underground fire.
Crews responded to Michigan and Pierson streets just after 1 p.m. following reports of smoke coming up from a manhole. The smoke was likely the result of a cord in a duct short-circuiting.
“The cables are under. They are energized. They have voltage stress on them. Like anything else at times they may short circuit and fail and I think that’s what happened here. We just had a cable short out. It cleared itself like it was supposed to, but in the process you get a little smoke and noise from it,” said Mike Holtsclaw from Indianapolis Power and Light (IPL).
Officials said it's possible Friday's rain and flooding played a role in the incident.
They hoped to have Michigan Street back open before rush hour, but now say the road could be closed for a majority of the night while they stay to determine the exact cause.