Man arrested more than 100 times threatens police during most recent incident

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A local man who acquired his 115th arrest since the early 1990s is free again.

Police arrested Tony Irvin McKinley, 53, Wednesday afternoon in the Southway Centre after he was accused of entering a mattress store and cursing at its employees.

Officer David Porter found McKinley intoxicated outside a nearby grocery store and took him into custody.

While being transported to a hospital to be checked out before arriving at the jail, McKinley “threatened to put a bullet in my head when I was off duty,” the officer wrote.

At the hospital, McKinley repeatedly threatened to kill, kick or spit on people he encountered. He was then made to wear a spit hood, a net-like head garment that allows the wearer to still breathe easily while protecting law enforcement and hospital personnel from blood-borne pathogens and other risks.

McKinley was preliminarily charged with intimidation, resisting law enforcement, public intoxication and disorderly conduct. He had been released from the jail by Friday afternoon.

Delaware County Prosecutor Jeffrey Arnold said that public intoxication charges can never be “enhanced” for habitual offenders like OWI or drug charges can be, so the most he can be sentenced to is 180 days. If he’s on good behavior while he’s in there, he can serve 90 days, Which explains why he’s been arrested on these charges so often.

Arnold also noted that substance abuse programs, including those offered by the local court system, are effective “only for people who want to change.”


Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.