SPECIAL COVERAGE: 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500

Family forced into freezing temperatures after fire destroys home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A family of five was displaced Tuesday morning after a fire ripped through their southwest side home.

Indianapolis firefighters responded to the 1400 block of Kappes Street at approximately 7 a.m.  When they arrived, heavy fire and smoke could be seen coming from the home.

Fire officials said the family left four stove top burners on high in order to heat the home.  Within 10 minutes, heavy black smoke filled the kitchen, and the family was forced to evacuate the home.

The homeowner told firefighters he was unsure how the fire started because he said he carefully removed all the pans off the burners.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze in an hour.

IFD reminds urges residents to not use appliances to heat their homes.  Instead, contact your utility company to work out a plan if you don’t have the appropriate utilities.


  • Katina

    Have you ever tried to work with the gas company once your behind and your utilities are already off?? They are not there to help…… They want there money then a deposit. And sometimes for alot of people it isn't just that easy. If it was they would have the gas to begin with.

  • sparkyavonlady

    Praying for this family, seems they needed help desperately BEFORE the fire. Now look at the pickle they are in, someone needs to step up and spend their weekend booze money on these peoples hotel bill, they need warm place to rest!

    • Hallie

      I think the booze money comment should've been left out, not sure where that pertains to anything, just my opinion; otherwise I do agree..They needed help prior to this-Its a shame bc chances are they've reached out, but been turned down possibly. I know a lot of places that will help pay your gas bill, but they will not pay a deposit nor will they help once the acct has been disconnected. 😦

  • good guy

    just a sign of the times Im sure if they had the money they more then likely would have had the furnace fixed or used an electric space heater .. things get hard people make difficult choices. it could happen to the best of us. how ever that's not a safe way to heat a house carbon monoxide gas .. build up would be horrid after a while..

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.