Gas explosion sparks raging fire in Kansas City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Kansas City, MO (KCTV) — Firefighters are battling a large fire raging on the Country Club Plaza.

A spokesman for the Kansas City Fire Department said a gas explosion sparked the blaze. Injuries have been reported, but no word on the extent of the injuries, authorities said.

The fire was reported about 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Streets are being shut off near St. Luke’s Medical Center where injured are reported to be taken.

The fire was near a popular restaurant, JJ’s Restaurant. People nearby described hearing the explosion that rocked the area. The explosion was so powerful it shook doors and windows at nearby restaurants, homes and retail establishments.

On Jan. 31, an explosion at the headquarters of Mexico’s state-owned oil company killed 37 people and injured 121.

Officials are trying to determine if a water-heating system may have leaked gas – possibly methane, or the gas build up was naturally occurring beneath the building. The explosion collapsed three floors of the building.