Double duty breakfast sandwiches:
1. Heart-healthy (it’s still American Heart Month)
2. Keep you on track for resolution to Lose Weight and/or Eat Healthier.
Dietitian Kim Galeaz shows you five bagel sandwiches that prove how EASY it is to make your own Fast, Easy & Nutrient-Rich Breakfast Sandwiches that won’t bust your Calorie – or Money $$$ – budget!
So save $$$ and skip the drive-thru by making your own sandwiches! Oh, and Wednesday Feb 27 is National Strawberry Day….so celebrate this heart-healthy fruit on a couple breakfast sandwiches!
1. Strawberries & Nut Butter – slice some strawberries over your favorite peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter bagel sandwich.
2. Sherman’s Chicken Breast Sandwich – Spinach and strawberries on a whole-wheat Thomas’ Bagel Thin for a triple-dose of heart-healthy ingredients!! Or Sherman’s w/ bell pepper strips.
3. Egg, Canadian Bacon & Cheese – Canadian Bacon instead of Bacon/Sausage…maybe a few egg tips on how I use this microwave thing to get them perfectly round!
4. Ham with Pineapple Cream Cheese– another lean breakfast meat (ham) tops LIGHT cream cheese with pineapple.
5. Egg with Salsa & Avocado – zesty salsa with protein-rich eggs and heart-healthy fats from avocado.
Ham with Pineapple Cream Cheese Bagel Thin
2 tablespoons reduce fat cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons pineapple in juice, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped green onion or chives
1 Thomas’ 100% whole wheat Bagel Thins® Bagel
1 slice lean ham (1 to 2 ounces)
Combine cream cheese, pineapple and chives in small bowl. Toast the Thomas’ Bagel Thin Bagel. Spread cream cheese mixture over and warm the bagel. Top with ham slice.
Recipe adapted from www.thomasbagelthins.com by Kim Galeaz, RD CD
Sherman’s (Protein-Power) Chicken Breast Breakfast Sandwich
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, about 3 to 5 ounces, cooked and seasoned with salt-free seasoning
Red, yellow, orange and/or green bell pepper strips
Bagel Thin (preferably whole grain!)
Spread bagel thin with honey mustard – or zesty mustard – of choice. Then top with cooked and seasoned chicken breast, then layer lots of spinach leaves and strips of colorful bell peppers. Enjoy!
(Kim’s version to celebrate National Strawberry Day = lots of spinach leaves, sliced strawberries and red onion.)
Recipe from Sherman Burdette Fox 59.