A 5-month-old boy who was found deceased at an unlicensed daycare in Carmel, Ind. died from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), confirmed the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office.
The coroner stated the infant, Conor Tilson, was left on his back but was later discovered laying on front. The boy had no signs of trauma and there was nothing to indicate the infant was abused.
SIDS is the unexpected and sudden death of a child under the age of 1. Although an autopsy does not show the exact cause of death, a baby is more likely at risk if they sleep on their stomach.
Tilson was pronounced dead on Jan. 24 after he was found unresponsive in a broken, portable crib at Stacy Cox Child Care. That same day, Cox and her daughter Kristen Phillips, another daycare operator, tested positive for marijuana, according to police.
Fox59 learned the child care center received several warnings from state investigators that it was illegal to care for more than five children without obtaining a license. Other health and safety issues were also cited in the complaint, including sleeping children left unattended in the home’s basement by the caregivers and space heaters and a gallon container of bleach within reach of young children.
On Feb. 14, the Office of the Indiana Attorney General filed an emergency restraining order Thursday, requiring the daycare to cease operating pending a court hearing.
Cox could face up to $100 in penalties for each day she ran the daycare illegally.