Fire closes west side restaurant Monday

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A local restaurant will be closed indefinitely, after a fire broke out at the west side business Monday morning.

Firefighters responded to Mr. Gyros, located at 5358 W. 38th Street, at approximately 10:28 a.m., after a pedestrian noticed flames emanating from the restaurant’s roof.

The pedestrian alerted occupants inside the restaurant, including owner Nick Tsoukalas’ wife, a customer and an employee.  They were all able to evacuate the business safely.

Officials said a grease fire began in the stove and sent flames shooting to the roof from the air handling system.  Firefighters attacked the fire from the roof and were able to contain the blaze in five minutes.

The restaurant sustained approximately $15,000 in damage. Tsoukalas has owned Mr. Gyros for 17 years.

It is unclear when the restaurant will reopen.

mr gyro fire 2

Scene of fire at Mr. Gyros Monday
Photo Courtesy: IFD

mr gyro fire 3

Scene of fire at Mr. Gyros Monday
Photo Courtesy: IFD


  • anon

    There's a place in Anderson called King's Gyros that makes excellent gyros, too! They're so huge, I can barely eat half in one sitting. Reasonably priced, too!

  • MeatPlow

    NOOOOOO! D@MMIT where will i get my lunch time Gyro fix? This has more of an impact than the sequester.

  • keath rhymer

    Damn hate this I have known Nck and his famiy for a good 10 years, The best place to eat evrything they serve is awesome

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.