Fire damages near northside home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS — A renter and his two dogs are forced out of their home following a fire.

The Indianapolis Fire Department responded to a home in the 2400 block of North Carrollton Avenue around 10:40 p.m. Sunday night.

When they arrived, fire could be seen coming from an upstairs bedroom window.

The home’s renter told fire officials he was burning candles in his bedroom and went downstairs for a short period of time.

When he returned, he found smoke and fire in the bedroom. He tried to extinguish the fire, but was unsuccessful and called 911.

Fire officials said $17,000 dollars in fire damage was contained to the bedroom.

The resident and his two dogs escaped without injury.