Apartment fire sparked by malfunctioning oven

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Just before 11p.m. Sunday, Indianapolis Fire Department was called to an apartment complex in the 700 block of Virginia Ave.

One of the residents, Flora Lewis, was using the self-cleaning function on her oven when its fan malfunctioned, which triggered the smoke alarms and sprinklers in her apartment.

The building was evacuated and firefighters took precautions to make sure the fire did not spread.

Other occupants were allowed back in but Lewis’ apartment was damaged by water.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.