Woman runs to rescue baby after fire ignites in kitchen

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Indianapolis Fire Department crews were called after 1 p.m. to 6045 E. Williamsburg Ct. at Washington East Apartments after a report of a fire.

IFD said the fire started in the kitchen, where someone left food unattended. It only took about a minute for it to ignite, starting the fire. A woman who lives in the apartment noticed a burning smell and came back in to find thick, black smoke and the kitchen on fire.

She ran into another room to get her 6-month-old baby and got her daughter out safely. IFD crews had the fire out in about 10 minutes. Victims Assistance was called to the scene and will help the family find a place to stay.

In addition to the apartment where the fire started, two other units sustained water damage. IFD also said there were no working smoke detectors. Damage is estimated at $50,000.

No one was hurt.