Governor Pence applauds first responders who saved boy from sand dune

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Governor Mike Pence is applauding the first responders who saved a young boy’s life.

Last week, Nathan Woessner was buried under 11 feet of sand in Michigan City.

Crews worked for nearly four hours to free the 6-year-old.

Governor Pence released the following statement Wednesday:
“As I told Michigan City Mayor Ron Meer yesterday, I  express my deepest admiration and utmost gratitude for the Michigan City first responders and all others involved whose efforts were paramount to the rescue of young Nathan Woessner last week.

“They include the Michigan City Police and Fire Departments, Fire Chief Ronnie Martin, Firefighter Brad Kreighbaum, the LaPorte County EMS, St. Anthony Health in Michigan City, the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Park Rangers, including Bruce Rowe, the University of Chicago Medical Center and Comer’s Children’s Hospital, including Dr. Tracy Koogler and fellow doctors, D&M Excavators, Woodruff & Son Excavators, NIPSCO, the Red Cross, LaPorte Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman, volunteer firefighter Ryan Miller, local lifeguards and volunteers. Their courage, commitment and persistence epitomize the character of our great state and illustrate for the world the quality and compassion of Hoosiers.

“As the young boy’s father said to me, ‘This is everyone’s miracle.’ I wholeheartedly agree and commend these brave men and women for their swift work in bringing this young boy to safety and improved health.”

The hospital said Woessner remains in critical condition. Fortunately, Nathan did not suffer any brain damage.

Officials say he could be released in the next week or two.

The area at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is still closed following the accident. It’s not clear when it will reopen.