The largest pumpkin at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday tipped the scales at 1,039.5 pounds!
That weight beat the three-time champion, John Barenie’s entry by 112 pounds!
The winner, Dwight Slone of Prestonburg, Kentucky claimed the first place with his giant gourd.
Slone said he was worried about his pumpkin, which is an Atlantis Giant Pumpkin, would be hurt due to excessive rains this summer.
“it feels so great to win,” Slone said. “I do what a lot of other guys do, but I guess I just got lucky this year.”
There were only five growers in this year’s contest.
- Dwight Stone of Prestonburg, Kentucky with a pumpkin of 1,039.5 pounds
- John Barenie of Griffith, Indiana with a pumpkin of 669.5 pounds
- David Cantrell of Corryton, Tennessee with a pumpkin of 669.5 pounds
- Kelly Klinker of Woodburn, Indiana with a pumpkin of 373.5 pounds
- Mikkal Hodget of Morristown, Indiana with a pumpkin of 300.5 pounds