Police confiscate guns, ammo stash after downtown standoff

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS – After hours of trying to convince a man to come out of a downtown Indianapolis apartment, police finally convinced him to surrender.

And when they went inside his apartment, they found several guns and a stash of ammunition.

The SWAT standoff began around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, when the man’s mother called police saying her son, Nathaniel McClendon, 41, was “having a nervous breakdown” and “hearing voices.” According to a report from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, the woman said her son had a handgun and was “shooting out windows.”

Police said McClendon refused to let his mother inside his 19th floor apartment at Barton Tower on Massachusetts Avenue. When police arrived, they said McClendon didn’t respond to their attempts to communicate. They called in IMPD SWAT and a team of negotiators in hopes of getting McClendon to respond.

Police heard several gunshots, but said the gunfire was confined to inside the apartment. McClendon didn’t have any hostages. Nearby apartments were evacuated.

After several hours, McClendon surrendered. At 2:20 a.m. Thursday, police took him into custody.

Detectives obtained a search warrant for the apartment. Inside, police found firearms and ammunition, including five pistols and two rifles. The report listed the firearms as a Smith and Wesson 9mm pistol, One Republic .40 caliber pistol, Taurus 9mm pistol, F.I. Seibstlader pistol, AA Arms Inc. 9mm pistol, a Riai Sporter rifle and a Stevens Model 87 B rifle. Police also recovered a 9mm magazine with eight live rounds, a .40 caliber magazine with seven live rounds and a box of 35 rounds of 9mm ammunition, among other ammo.

“Several pieces of property inside the apartment were damaged by the gunfire,” the report said.

McClendon was taken to Wishard Hospital following his arrest.