Child found safe after police chase; Amber Alert ends

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — The Amber Alert involving a 2-year-old Shepherdsville child has ended after a police chase in Hardin County, Ky., state police said.

The child’s non-custodial father, Joshua Yeager, surrendered to troopers on U.S. 31 in Upton at 12:09 a.m. Wednesday.  Police said the child, Jaylynn Maxey, did not appear to be hurt, though paramedics were examining her as a precaution.  An Amber Alert cancellation notice said Yeager was being transported to Hardin Memorial Hospital in Elizabethtown.

Police pursued Yeager south on Interstate 65 and U.S. 31 for about an hour late Tuesday. They said Yeager was in a stolen Dodge Intrepid seen earlier in Louisville.  Police also had located a separate, stolen car connected to Yeager in a convenience store parking lot at Lee and Arthur Streets in Louisville before the pursuit, officers said.

The Amber Alert went public at 7:04 p.m. Tuesday.

The circumstances that led to the alert were not clear from police early Wednesday.

The Facebook page that appears to belong to the child’s mother, Melissa Maxey, and shows the child’s pictures has a plea posted Tuesday evening:  “Please bring my baby back to me.”  WDRB News could not reach the mother for comment; she did not respond to a Facebook request.

Shepherdsville police Sgt. Michael O’Donnell said Yeager is “a person of interest” in connection with the Monday robbery of the Stock Yards Bank on Adam Shepherd Parkway, near North Buckman Street.  Bank surveillance images released to the media appeared to show Yeager in a t-shirt described in the Amber Alert announcement.

Police said the suspect walked into the bank with a gun and demanded a teller give him money.

The suspect took off on foot.

Yeager could face charges from three counties:  Louisville (Jefferson County), Bullitt and Hardin Counties.  Authorities may not have them sorted until Wednesday morning at the earliest.  It also was not clear early Wednesday where Yeager would be lodged — and where he might have an initial court hearing.

Read more at WDRB:

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.