Weather threat prompts changes for trick-or-treat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS (Oct. 30, 2013) – Indianapolis will move trick-or-treat to Friday, joining an onslaught of Hoosier communities that have made the move because of the threat of severe weather.

Indianapolis hours for trick-or-treating will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 1.

Indoor trick-or-treat activities previously scheduled at Indianapolis Fire Department stations and IMPD’s Southwest District will go on as planned on Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. IMPD’s Southeast District will welcome trick-or-treaters Friday night from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; the Southwest District location will also be open for trick-or-treaters on Friday.

Operation Halloween, a mandatory meeting for Marion County sex offenders, will move to Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. IMPD will increase patrols Thursday, Friday and over the weekend.

Public Safety Director Troy Riggs said the National Weather Service indicated an “increasing level of certainty and confidence in the potential for severe weather.”

Several other communities have decided to move trick-or-treat to Friday in response to weather that could include strong winds and rain.

The city of Westfield moved the date after posing the question to residents on Facebook. Carmel city leaders “recommend” that trick-or-treaters go out Friday but said there are no “mandatory” hours for trick-or-treating. Noblesville, which had said earlier Wednesday that it would keep the Thursday date, later announced that it had opted for Friday instead.

Check out this link for trick-or-treat times around the area.