Police: Man, 20, planned to use improvised tennis ball bombs on local movie theater

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Nov. 20, 2013)– The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) arrested a man Monday accused of making a home made explosive.

On Monday, detective Aaron Carter was made aware of a tip that was received at the IMPD 911 center. This threat stated that a Neal Grubbs, 20, was in possession of an improvised explosive device in the form of tennis balls that were filled with pellets or other items and that Grubbs was threatening to use the device in a movie theater.

The person providing this information to police stated he believed the locations of the theaters were the Rave theater in Plainfield, and the Shiloh theater in Avon. The witness said he had seen Grubbs and a device matching this description approximately two to three weeks ago and confirmed that Grubbs was planning on using them soon. It was also reported that Grubbs was potentially mentally unstable.

Detective Carter confirmed with Grubbs that he and his mother were the only two people in the residence. Grubbs stated they have lived at this residence for the past eight years. His mother was not present but did verbally confirm her identity over the phone, and gave verbal consent to search her residence per this investigation. Detective Carter received a signed consent to search from Grubbs to search the residence. A formal search warrant was also obtained.

In Grubbs’ bedroom, detectives saw in plain view a tennis ball with a fuse inserted to it. Technicians from the IMPD bomb squad arrived at the residence and secured the exterior. Technicians from the bomb squad entered into the residence and was able to determine the device was in fact a live improvised explosive device (IED).

Grubbs stated he was aware of the “bomb” in his bedroom but it was given to him by another individual several weeks ago. He further stated that he knew it was illegal to have the “bomb” and at no time ever made an attempt to notify the police or get rid of the explosive device.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.