Bisard submits resignation to IMPD chief

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS – Suspended police officer David Bisard has submitted his resignation to Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Chief Rick Hite.

Bisard’s attorney John Kautzman tells Fox 59 News that the resignation was “the right thing to do” 24 hours before his sentencing by a Fort Wayne judge following his conviction for a fatal drunk driving crash.

Hite said he had been waiting for the conclusion of Bisard’s criminal case before proceeding to the Merit Board to have the officer terminated.

Bisard has been on unpaid suspension since August 2010 after he drove his squad car into a trio of motorcyclists on East 56th Street on Indianapolis’ northeast side. Eric Wells was killed; Kurt Weekly and Mary Mills were seriously injured.

On November 5, an Allen County jury convicted Bisard on nine counts, including criminal recklessness, reckless homicide and various alcohol-related driving counts.

The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office tells Fox 59 News that it will seek consecutive sentences that could send Bisard to prison for approximately 30 years.

Kautzman said he will present testimony from Bisard’s wife, a forensic psychologist and a couple more witnesses during his sentencing by Judge John Surbeck.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department released a statement Monday about Bisard’s resignation:

Earlier today Mr. David Bisard verbally submitted his resignation to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. His counsel will forward a formal, written letter of resignation in a timely manner.

 As a result of his resignation, the December 3rd, 2013 Merit Board meeting to process Chief Hite’s recommendation for termination is no longer necessary.