- 3 slices bacon, ½” diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups diced red potatoes, ½” diced
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cans (approximately 7 ounces each) minced clams, with their juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ Tbsp Garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- Cook bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan.
- Add onion to bacon and drippings; sauté until softened.
- Add potatoes and clam juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
- Add minced clams with their liquid. Whisk flour into milk; add to chowder with half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clam chowder thickens and bubbles, or about 3 minutes.
- Season with Worcestershire, garlic, thyme and tobacco, and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Cook over low heat for an additional 5 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid scorching.
- Serve in hot soup bowls with oyster crackers or saltines and fresh chopped parsley as a garnish.
Recipe courtesy of the Oceanaire