Family forced out of home after child, 4, starts house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 10, 2014) – A family was forced out of their home Sunday after a 4-year-old child started a house fire.

The Indianapolis Fire Department was dispatched to 460 N. State St. on Sunday around 9 p.m.

Fire was showing from the second story when crews arrived. Crews had it under control in about 20 minutes. The fire caused an estimated $65,000 in damage.

A friend of the home-renter told firefighters he was watching TV downstairs when he heard popping noises upstairs. Upon investigation he found a blaze coming from the upstairs bedroom. He safely evacuated with the children and called 911.

The 4-year-old boy told investigators that he was playing with a candle he found in his mother’s bedroom. His mother wasn’t home at the time.

Investigators will refer the family to the IFD Fire Stop program. IFD would like to caution parents about leaving candles burning unattended. If you know a child with an unusual curiosity about fire, please call the IFD Fire Stop Hotline at 327-3473 and get more information. Trained counselors from the Survive Alive program will speak to your children about the dangers of fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.