INDIANAPOLIS – Indianapolis teens could soon have an earlier curfew on the weekends.
Republican Councilman Jeff Miller introduced a proposal Monday that would move the curfew from 1 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
It would only affect unsupervised 15 to 17 year old. Any violator would be picked up by police and could face a $50 fine.
Miller said talks about changing the curfew began last year after several teens were killed in Indianapolis. One victim was 17-year-old Monquize Edwards, who was shot downtown around 11:30 p.m. during the Fourth of July celebrations. Police said a fight broke out and ended in gunfire which killed Edwards.
“Too many young children are losing their lives,” cried his mother Penika Edwards soon after his death.
“Some of the recent violence last year, I mean downtown, was pretty disturbing honestly. And that’s what led to some of these discussions,” said Miller. “As we’ve researched I couldn’t find another city that had a 1 o’clock a.m. curfew. Some had 12, some had 11, some had even 10, but none had 1. I mean it’s just too late for our kids… to be out.”
The proposal will move to a committee and be discussed in a public hearing before it is voted on.