Teen burned in fire on city’s east side

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 31, 2014) – An Indianapolis teen was burned in a house fire on the city’s east side Monday morning.

The teen was visiting the home in the 1100 block of South Drexel Avenue and fell asleep.

When he awoke around 2:45 a.m. he found the couch on fire and tried to stomp it out. The fire quickly grew out of control and he left the home.

The family who lives there was not home when the fire broke out, but they told firefighters that the wood burning stove was still on when they left at midnight.

It took Indianapolis Fire Department crews 40 minutes to get the fire under control.

The estimated damage is $50,000, and crews are calling the house a total loss.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.