Firefighters rescue pets in west side fire; four houses destroyed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WAYNE TOWNSHIP (April 10, 2014) – Approximately 60 firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire on the west side of Indianapolis Thursday afternoon.

The call came in around 12:27 p.m. in the 3400 block of Windham Lake Circle. Three residences sustained severely heavy damage and 1 house suffered exterior damage, according to the Wayne Township Fire Department.

Luckily, no one was injured in the fire, and firefighters rescued two dogs and a cat from the homes.

Battalion Aid Bob Crouch carried one of those dogs in his arms, after sifting through rubble to find him.

“(His) little brown eyes looked up at me and kind of whimpered and we undug (him) and got him pulled out,” Crouch said.

Amazingly, another dog in that same house – where the fire started – also survived.

“I went into the kitchen, saw the crate, (and) really didn’t think there was a lot of hope,” Crouch said.

The rescues served as a comfort to Shirley Perry and her neighbors. Perry’s home, next to the one that caught fire, is a complete loss. Her sister called her at work to tell her about the fire.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Perry said.

Perry’s cat, Bud, escaped and was rescued after falling into a retention pond behind the house. Vets on site gave Bud oxygen and took him to be checked out.

Speaking after the rescue, Crouch said he’d never seen animals survive such significant damage.

“I really don’t know except God works in mysterious ways,” Crouch said.

Fire officials said winds were a major factor.

Firefighters from from Wayne Township, Pike Township, Indianapolis and Brownsburg assisted in containing the blaze.

Investigators have determined the fire started in a car that was parked in the garage of the home where the fire originated. There was some form of electrical malfunction in the car that started the fire. The car was not running at the time the fire started.

Below are social media posts from FOX59’s Jill Glavan and the Wayne Township Fire Department:


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.