Family of 4 escapes home after fire, says smoke detectors alerted them

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS (May 2, 2014) – Smoke detectors saved a family after their house went up in smoke Friday morning.

The fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. Friday at a home in the 1700 block of Sparrow Avenue on the south side.

A smoke detector went off, alerting a resident who saw fire coming from a heater in his brother’s room. He tried to put it out but was unsuccessful and called 911.

Four family members got out of the home safely. No one was hurt in the fire.

The smoke detectors had been donated by the Indianapolis Fire Department.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.