Man arrested after stolen truck rams patrol car in chase

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (May 18, 2014) — It started like a typical traffic stop, but when the driver wouldn’t pull over, a chase led to car crashes, gunshots and an arrest.

An Indianapolis Metropolitan police officer attempted to pull a truck over  near the 1100 block of North Alton Avenue around 7 p.m. Saturday. The white Ford F-150, wouldn’t stop and a chase began. Four blocks west, on Somerset Avenue, two people jumped out of the truck and ran, but two others remained inside and kept driving. When the truck stopped again, the driver threw it in reverse, violently ramming into the officer’s car behind it and causing the patrol car’s airbag to deploy. As the officer tried to get out of the car, the truck reared back a second time, again striking the patrol car. That’s when the officer fired several shots at the truck, as it left the scene.

The truck smashed into a parked van near the intersection of West 11th Street and Somerset Avenue. The two suspects jumped out, ran through an alley and into a nearby home.

Officers surrounded that home and were able to get both suspects to come out without incident. It was later determined that the truck had been stolen. Officers also found a gun in the backyard of a home near where the suspects were caught.

They arrested Erik Boswell, 23, Indianapolis, after the incident. Preliminary charges against him include resisting law enforcement, four counts of criminal recklessness and theft. Boswell does have local and out of county warrants for possession of cocaine, possession of methamphetamine, possession of paraphernalia and driving with a suspended license.

Police said there were no other arrests in the case yet.

IMPD originally said the officer would be placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure for officer-involved shootings. Police clarified that Sunday morning, saying the officer would not be placed on administrative leave because no one was hurt after the weapon discharge.