Click here for weather warnings and watches
Follow the storms with our live blog

Police identify men involved in robbery, police action shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (May 20, 2014) – Indianapolis Metropolitan police shot at an armed robbery suspect Tuesday morning after that suspect refused to stop and waved a handgun at them.

Officers were responding to the McClure gas station in the 5300 block of Rockville Road after a robbery was reported there. One of the officers spotted a suspicious car nearby and saw a man jump into the car. They tried to get the driver to stop, but he took off, starting a police chase that went southbound on Lynhurst Drive, westbound on Washington Street and southbound on I-465.

Raymond Mims and Willie Morrison

Raymond Mims (left) and Willie Morrison (right)

An officer trained in chase intervention used his skills to strategically hit the suspect vehicle, bringing it to a stop. The suspect behind the wheel–later identified as 28-year-old Willie Morrison–gave up and officers arrested him. The passenger suspect, however, ran out of the car, waving his handgun at police. Police identified him as 27-year-old Raymond Mims.

At that point, Lieutenant Chris Bailey with IMPD said officers feared for their safety and had to fire at the suspect. They may have hit him more than once.

“Officers observed a gun in his hand. Shots were fired on the interstate, the suspect jumped over the median and fled across the northbound lanes of 465 then over the wall behind me. Shots were fired again there and the suspect then ran a little bit further, collapsing over here off of Lawndale,” Bailey said.

Mims remained in serious condition at Eskenazi Hospital Tuesday afternoon. He’s expected to recover from his injuries.

No officers were injured. As part of standard procedure, the officers involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative leave during the ongoing investigation.

“This is a dangerous job. Our officers are probably the best trained and most highly disciplined when it comes to shooting their firearms and only doing that when it’s absolutely necessary,” said Bailey.

“They have a duty to protect themselves and go home to their families, but more importantly they have a duty to protect the public, and that’s what they were doing tonight,” he said.

After the shooting, investigators closed the northbound lanes of 465 between Washington and Sam Jones Expressway into Tuesday morning’s rush hour. Northbound traffic was diverted at Sam Jones. Northbound 465 reopened around 6:30 a.m.

Detectives already recovered shell casings, a weapon and evidence likely linked to the gas station robbery at the scene.