Click here for weather warnings and watches
Follow the storms with our live blog

Brothers, 6 and 9, escape Fishers home after grease fire ignites

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FISHERS (May 23, 2014) – Two children escaped from a Fishers home Thursday night after grease ignited, sparking a kitchen fire.

Fishers Fire and Emergency Services responded to the 9700 block of Springdale Drive after the fire was reported around 8:15 p.m. Two children—a 6-year-old and his 9-year-old brother—were inside when it happened. After the 6-year-old told his brother about the fire, the 9-year-old pushed him outside and they went to find help. Investigators said their parents had left briefly on an errand.

Firefighters found heavy smoke and fire coming from the home when they arrived. They quickly extinguished the flames and made sure everyone was out. Investigators suspect grease was left unattended on the stove and spread to the cabinets. The kitchen sustained heavy damage while the second floor had smoke and heat damage.

The family will stay with relatives. Three pets also survived the fire.

Damage is estimated at $300,000.