Witnesses: Driver didn’t brake, slammed into construction crew

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENFIELD (May 29, 2014) – Two construction workers were hurt Thursday afternoon after an accident on Interstate 70 near Greenfield.

It happened around 1:15 p.m. near mile marker 103 at the Greenfield exit. The crash closed the interstate in both directions, and a medical helicopter was called to the scene.

“It is a bad accident,” Maj. Derek Towle with Greenfield police said.

Towle said a construction vehicle was in the right lane of westbound I-70. Two construction workers were removing reflectors from the road when a semi truck, driven by 37-year-old Daniel Kebebe of Ohio, failed to move and slammed into them. One worker was taken by helicopter to a hospital; the other was taken via ambulance.

Witnesses said Kebebe was trying to get past traffic and didn’t seem to stop at all before he hit the men.

“There was no brake marks and witnesses said they didn’t see any brake lights so all the evidence points to he didn’t brake when he hit them,” Towle said.

Authorities identified the workers as Mark Evans, 36, and Willie Pittman, 26. Both are from Indianapolis and work for INDOT subcontractor MAS Markers out of Lebanon.

Evans was taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital; Pittman to St. Vincent in critical condition but has since been upgraded to good condition. Evans was driving the truck while Pittman was outside when the crash happened.

“People speed through there, or they don’t stay in their lane, don’t watch what they’re doing, cut off other drivers,” driver Greg Roberts said.

Roberts stayed at work late to avoid traffic. He, like many, said their thoughts are with the two injured men. This marked the second major accident involving a construction crew this month: the first killed two men on I-69.

“Had to say a little prayer because … I was at work doing my job and somebody else was at work trying to do their job and it’s really sad,” Roberts said.

As of 5:30 p.m., traffic was back open as normal.

FOX59’s Jill Glavan reported seeing debris scattered on the road when she arrived on scene:

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.