Suspect identified, in custody after shooting near Arsenal Tech

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (June 3, 2014)– The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said the man accused of shooting a female student near Arsenal Tech High School has turned himself in to authorities.

Police said a 17-year-old female student showed up to the school seeking help after being shot in the arm.  Rose Wilson, the victim’s grandmother, says she is furious at the 19-year-old shooting suspect.

“These are kids out here making a fool out of themselves. Now, he’s going to jail for attempted murder,” said Wilson.

IMPD said the suspect turned himself in around 2:10 p.m. He has been identified as William Alvies, 19, of Indianapolis.

“By him wanting to kill my granddaughter, it makes me want to kill him,” said Wilson.

The student and the male suspect were fighting in a nearby parking lot prior to the shooting, said police. At some point the victim ran from the parking lot toward the school.  The suspect chased the victim, stopped and fired several shots, striking the girl.

“I want her to be smarter.  I want my granddaughter to go to college. Dead people don’t go to college,” said Wilson.

The man fled the scene, heading northwest. Officers set up a perimeter in the area.  They later located a gun in a nearby creek and the suspect’s clothing in the street.

The student was transported to an area hospital in good condition.

The girl’s grandmother told FOX59 that the victim had an off and on relationship with the suspect.

Alvies will be preliminarily charged with attempted murder by the IMPD Domestic Violence Unit.

Dr. Lewis Ferebee, Indiana Public Schools Superintendent, released the following statement:

It’s been an intense day. A member of the Indianapolis Public Schools family was harmed on the way to school earlier today. We are glad to know our student is in stable condition and being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. I’m glad that Arsenal Technical High School was able to become a safe haven. After the young lady was shot by someone she knows, she ran onto campus for help. She went into the CNA program where she is currently enrolled and was able receive immediate care prior to being transported to the hospital.

I want to ensure the community doesn’t take today’s events out of context. Great things take place at Tech. This incident should in no way tarnish the amazing accomplishments associated with Arsenal Tech and the high-quality teaching and learning that happens here every day.

It was important for me to be here at Arsenal Tech today. Our administration needed to and will continue to support our Tech family. I am very proud of Tech students and staff. They ensured that despite what occurred in the nearby area, the business of school was not impeded. All remained poised; and the focus continues to be on our wonderful students. District support teams will be accessible for students tomorrow.

As always, our law enforcement officials acted swiftly to ensure the safety of the community. I commend IPS Police and IMPD for a smooth and successful response to today’s events. I also commend most of our media partners for reporting this incident responsibly and accurately.

We’re happy to know our student is on the road to recovery, and her suspected attacker, who is not an IPS student, is now in police custody. I trust Arsenal Tech’s strong and spirited community will continue to move forward celebrating the groundbreaking year we’ve had thus far and looking ahead to even greater student success.






Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.