WATCH LIVE: Day 2 of testimony in President Trump impeachment inquiry hearings

2 sisters home when fire breaks out, 1 in critical condition

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (June 6, 2014) — A fire broke out in the home of two sisters on the near southeast side of Indianapolis at about 4:30 Friday morning. Investigators said 73-year-old Patricia Bunten was inside cooking bacon on the stove and the grease caught fire.

“The grease got out of control, she tried to put it out but couldn’t, and evacuated the house,” said Indianapolis Fire Department Public Information Officer Rita Reith.

“I heard her screaming for help. I went outside and she was already out the back door and I saw a bunch of smoke coming out the back door,” said neighbor Zeb Lashbrook.

The woman’s 53-year-old sister was still in the home, sleeping in a bedroom.

That woman is now in critical condition at Eskenazi Hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation.

“Her sister had moved in a year ago, or about two years ago, she had thought she had left but she was in the house so she got smoke inhalation. She couldn’t breathe well anyway, she was on a breathing machine, so hopefully she’ll be OK,” Lashbrook said.

The older sister was treated at the scene and determined to be in good condition.

Reith said there were working smoke detectors in the home.

Damage from the fire is estimated at about $75,000.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.