INDIANAPOLIS (June 18, 2014) – Thieves are targeting a southeast side neighborhood, Indianapolis Metropolitan police say.
IMPD sent out an alert after a string of burglaries over the last few weeks. Over the three-week period, police said there have been 11 residential burglaries. On Monday, there were three in a 24-hour period.
The crimes happened in the 7900 block of Willow Wind, 7900 block of Palmaro Circle and 7800 block of Way Forest Court. Some of the thefts happened at night when the homes were occupied, police said. Those addresses are in a subdivision between Franklin Road and Raymond Street.
In most cases, the burglar entered the home through unlocked windows. According to an IMPD report, one homeowner woke up and discovered someone had moved things around in his kitchen. In another case, residents noticed items were missing from their home.
IMPD offered the following reminders for homeowners:
- Keep windows and doors locked, even when you are home
- Keep garage doors closed
- Makes sure your home is well lit
- Remove your garage door opener from your car if you parked outside
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Document your belongings to help police track them and return them to you