Coast Guard suspends search for missing Plainfield man after plane crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PAGO PAGO (July 27, 2014) – The Coast Guard suspended its search for a missing Plainfield man.

Crews have been looking for Babar Suleman after his plane went down in the Pacific Ocean near American Samoa last week.

Suleman and his teenage son Haris were flying around the world to raise money for charity. Their single-engine plane crashed shortly after takeoff near Pago Pago.

Crews found Haris’ body and wreckage from the plane, but Babar Suleman hasn’t been found yet.

“The decision to suspend a search and rescue case is one of the most difficult decisions I have to make,” said Rear Admiral Cari Thomas, Commander, Fourteenth Coast Guard District.

“I want to extend my sincere condolences to the family and friends of the Sulemans. After conducting an exhaustive search with our partner agencies in American Samoa and crisscrossing more than 4,000 miles from the air and surface of the ocean and finding no sign of Mr. Suleman, I have made the decision to suspend the active search.”

The Coast Guard’s active search included an HC-130 Hercules airplane crew from Air Station Barbers Point, members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, the American Samoa Marine Patrol, American Samoa Department of Marine and Wildlife Resources, and Tug Sa’ilele.

The Coast Guard said the search has lasted a total of 70 hours.