Click here for weather warnings in central Indiana

Family stunned after boy, 16, was shot and killed on bike

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (September 8, 2014)-- Kayalleiujah Gibson, 16, was supposed to riding home to his house near Wes Montgomery Park Sunday night.

Instead, he was westbound in the 4300 block of East 34th St., away from where his folks lived, when he was shot once in the abdomen while on his bicycle.

Kayalleuijah Gibson, photo from Facebook

Kayalleuijah Gibson, photo from Facebook

A neighbor told FOX59 News that the teen was moving but died as IMPD officers arrived shortly before 9 p.m.

A single shell casing was recovered across the street from where bloodstains still mark the sidewalk. A witness said a suspect ran northbound on Colorado Ave. after the shooting.

"It still ain't really set in on me. It's still a dream to me," said stepfather Anthony Smith. "I'm still just not believing that he ain't walking in through the door, hollering like he does when he come in through the door, yelling and hollering. This ain't real."

Smith was joined in the front yard of the family home by friends and relatives who were stunned by the boy's killing.

"He was just a teenager doing what teenager's do," said Smith. "He wasn't no bad kid. He wasn't no person who was just out here in the streets doing all kinds of bad stuff. He was just a teenager. He was a good kid. He didn't deserve to die like that."

Kayalleuijah Gibson, photo from Facebook

Kayalleuijah Gibson, photo from Facebook

Gibson had been in some typical teenager trouble, but nothing overtly violent or serious.

Smith was at a loss to explain why his stepson, a junior at John Marshal Community School, died.

"Crazy. Senseless. I don't understand."

"We have no idea. We just all in the dark right now. We don't have a clue what was going on."

Gibson's murder was two blocks away from where Metro Police Officer Perry Renn died July 5 in an alley shootout with a man at a backyard holiday cookout.

One neighbor told FOX59 News she was breaking her lease and leaving East 34th St. after witnessing two murders in two months.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.