- 1 can (14.75 oz.) pink salmon, liquid drained
- ½ cup very finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups homemade, soft whole-wheat breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 tablespoon Mazola corn oil
- Whole grain hamburger or slider buns
- Romaine/leaf lettuce leaves
In a large bowl, combine salmon, onion, mayonnaise, garlic-herb seasoning, lemon juice and lemon zest. Lightly stir in beaten eggs and 1½ cups breadcrumbs. Place remaining 1½ cups breadcrumbs in shallow pie plate. Heat corn oil in large 12-inch skillet over medium heat. While oil heats, form salmon mixture into nine slider-size balls, each about 2½ ounces or 5 to 6 regular patty size, about 4 ounces each. Roll each ball in bread crumbs, patting together to form tighter ball. Slightly flatten each ball into patty, about ¾-inch thick. Place patties in skillet and cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown and heated throughout. Serve immediately on buns with romaine lettuce leaves.
Makes 5-6 patties/burgers or 8-9 mini size slider patties.
Recipe by culinary nutritionist Kim Galeaz, RDN, CD