Couple escapes fire on south side, neighbor pulls homeowner to safety

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

By Lindy Thackston

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (October 24, 2014) - A couple escaped a house fire on the city's south side Friday morning, but one of their dogs did not survive.

IFD was called to the 1100 block of Bacon Street around 1:50 a.m.

Fire crews found heavy smoke and flames coming from the backside of the one-story home.

The couple, ages 68 and 70, were sleeping at the time. The woman says she heard a loud noise from the back of the home and then smelled something burning.

According to neighbors, the woman is in a wheelchair and she made it out of the house and yelled for help.

"The lady that lives in the house comes out knocking on the side of my truck saying her house was on fire," said neighbor George Stamps. "I immediately jumped out and ran to grab her husband, helped him out of the house. Real good people, give you the shirt off their back. Real nice people. It’s just sad. Very sad."

The family has lived in the home for 18 years. An adult daughter also lives there, but she was not home at the time.

Two of the family dogs made it out safely, but the third dog did not survive.

"At this time the fire is under investigation," said IFD Captain Rita Reith. "Most of the fire is in the rear of the house but did extend from the basement into the attic so we could be looking at some balloon frame construction which would have caused the fire to travel pretty quickly."

The fire caused approximately $75,000 worth of damage.

IFD says there were working smoke detectors in the home and the homeowners told them they had in fact recently changed the batteries.

This fire was the first for the new probationary firefighters who graduated from recruit school on October 16th.