INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Nov. 26, 2014)-- Frying turkeys has become more popular in recent years. The bird is tasty, but it can be dangerous if you don't do it the right way. Watch the video clip to see Captain Mike Pruitt and some of the Wayne Township Fire Department firefighters demonstrate how it can go back very quickly.
Here are some do's and don'ts of turkey frying.
- Thaw the turkey
- Wear long sleeves, gloves and closed-toe shoes
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby
- Lower the turkey slowly into the fire
- Measure how much oil you need based on the size of your turkey before you start the heat by using water and putting the turkey inside the fryer
- Use the fryer inside your home or in your garage
- Overfill the oil
- Let the oil get too hot