WESTFIELD, Ind. (Jan. 16, 2015) -- The U.S. 31 construction project in Hamilton County is one step closer to completion.
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will be opening new lanes on the stretch through Westfield and while are applauding the move, others are very concerned.
Tom Roush Lincoln Mazda has had a prime location at the corner of U.S. 31 and 169th Street.
"We're a bit of a destination type of sale," said Jeff Roush.
Now, the location they've been at for more than 30 years may not be so hot. Across the street, there is a newly built portion of U.S. 31. It's elevated and will go right over 169th Street sending Hoosiers, who might have stopped for a look, right on by at freeway speeds.
"They'll have to go clear to 191st or 196th street, turn around, come back," Roush said. "We have a notion we're gonna get a whole lot of phone calls saying 'Hey, how do I find you? Where you at?' Well where are you at? We'll try to guide you in."
U.S. 31 is in the middle of a major transformation from a busy two lane road with traffic lights to a freeway with fewer lights and intersections. The latest phase will be to allow traffic to take the new lanes in both directions between 169th and State Road 38. Cones and barrels will be up to put you where you need to be.
Here is more from INDOT:
- 2 lanes open—both northbound and southbound—on U.S. 31 from 169th Street to S.R. 32
- 1 lane open northbound and southbound on U.S. 31 between S.R. 32 and S.R. 38
- No U.S. 31 access from 169th Street; east/west travel on 169th Street will be maintained
- No U.S. 31 access from 181st Street; east/west travel on 181st Street will be maintained
- 191st Street will close at U.S. 31; there will be no direct access to/from or across U.S. 31 until new interchange is completed later this year
- Temporary signal will control to/from access at 196th Street & U.S. 31 until closure occurs later this year
- Single-point urban interchange becomes operational at U.S. 31 and S.R. 32
The traffic switch is expected to happen throughout the day on Saturday.