Family member calls Muncie man a hero for saving woman from house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MUNCIE, Ind. (Feb. 9, 2015) - A man died Monday morning after he tried to rescue two pets from a house fire, authorities said.

Ty Harmon, 37, lived along Jefferson Street in Muncie. His father’s girlfriend lives in the home too where the fire started. Harmon's father passed away on January 14 from a medical issue, authorities said.

Harmon called 911 to report the house fire. The fire started around 2 a.m. Harmon helped save the woman, who lives in the home. He went back into the house, firefighters said, to try to rescue a dog and a cat.

Firefighters believe Harmon died from smoke inhalation, but autopsy results are pending. The fire woke up people in the neighborhood.

“I heard the first siren go by and it was –it was very close,” Judy Elton said.

Muncie firefighters ruled the fire an accident. They believe the fire started because an electric blanket malfunctioned.

“I think it’s very tragic and it just points to why it’s important for us to have… professional firefighters (and) professional police officers and let them do the work because they do have the equipment to keep them safe while we don’t,” Sue Godfrey said.

The woman who Harmon rescued was listed in fair condition at Ball Memorial Monday afternoon.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.