Man dies after overnight house fire in Muncie

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
fire-truck-generic

File image

MUNCIE (Feb. 9, 2015) – A man died following an overnight fire in Delaware County.

It happened around 2 a.m. at a home at 1500 N. Jefferson St. in Muncie.

According to the Delaware County Coroner’s Office, the man helped an 80-year-old woman get out of the home and was also safely out himself. He then went back inside—investigators said it was likely he returned to rescue some pets that were still in the home. Two pets ended up dying as well.

The woman was taken to an area hospital for observation but appeared to be unhurt.

The cause of the fire appeared to be an electric blanket, according to the Muncie Fire Department.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.