First-of-its-kind Hoosier Lottery scratch-off asks, ‘gold or cash?’
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Feb. 16, 2015)– A new scratch-off game from the Hoosier Lottery is offering winners a payout choice they’ve never had-until now. Top winners on the new Gold Mine scratch-off will get to answer the question “gold or cash?” when claiming their prize.
If a winner chooses gold, he or she will literally receive gold. The exact weight of the gold will be determined at the time of claim because gold prices fluctuate.
If a winner chooses cash, he or she will receive payment the traditional way, as a check or an electronic funds transfer.
Players purchasing a Hoosier Lottery Gold Mine ticket at one of the many events around the state this month will have a chance “choose their stash” and pull a card from either the gold board or the cash board to win a Hoosier Lottery Scratch-off ticket or merchandise prize.
Events will be conducted on the following dates (times are Eastern unless otherwise noted):
- February 18 – Marsh (6965 W. 38TH St., Indianapolis), 3 p.m.-5 p.m.
- February 19 – Kroger (130 W. Hively, Elkhart), 12 p.m.-2 p.m.
- February 20 – Jerry’s Burger Dairy (510 Lower Huntington Rd., Fort Wayne), 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- February 21 – Marsh (2250 Teal Rd., Lafayette), 12 p.m.-2 p.m.
- February 21 – Kroger (1125 W. State Blvd., Fort Wayne), 2 p.m.-4 p.m.
- February 25 – Kroger (2650 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute), 2 p.m.-4 p.m.
- February 26 – Marsh (5624 Georgetown Rd., Indianapolis), 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- February 26 – Schnucks (3501 N. Green River Rd., Evansville), 4 p.m.-6 p.m. CST
- February 27 – The Hen (524 N. Main St., Crown Point), 3 p.m.-5 p.m. CST
The game is $5 per ticket and pays a top prize of $124,000, with nine top prizes available. The value of the top prize is the same whether the winner chooses gold or cash and state and federal taxes will be withheld from either payment option.
As with all big winners, the Hoosier Lottery encourages Gold Mine winners to seek professional financial and tax advice, regardless of which payment method they choose.