Three hospital patients die of ice cream-related illness

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Celebrating National Ice Cream Month with Blue Bell

DALLAS (AP – March 13, 2015) — Officials at a Wichita, Kansas, hospital say five people fell ill with listeriosis after consuming a Blue Bell ice cream product. They became sick while patients in the hospital. Three of the people died.

A spokeswoman for Via Christi St. Francis Hospital in Wichita says five patients became ill with listeriosis during their hospitalizations for unrelated causes between December 2013 and January 2015.

Spokeswoman Maria Loving says hospital officials were unaware that some items produced on one of the 25 production lines at Blue Bell’s Central Texas creamery had been contaminated with listeria bacteria. She said all Blue Bell Creameries products were immediately removed from all Via Christi Health facilities in Kansas and Oklahoma once the potential contamination was discovered.