Father sues over baby’s remains found at Gary funeral home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Photo credit: John J Watkins, The Times

GARY, Ind. (March 24, 2015) — The father of a stillborn baby has filed a lawsuit against the operators of a Gary funeral home where his son’s remains had been stored for years without being buried.

The lawsuit from Wyatt Puryear was filed Friday against former and current operators of Smith, Bizzell and Warner and Son Funeral Home. The remains of his son and another baby were found inside boxes above ceiling tiles.

A funeral home spokesman has said the remains were placed there by an employee in September and were taken down the same day. Puryear thought his son had been buried.

A statement from Walker Law Group on behalf of the funeral home’s current owners says there’s no legal connection between them and former owners who didn’t bury Puryear’s son, who was delivered stillborn in 1996.