Carrot Cake Waffles with Cream Cheese Topping
Yield: About 4 waffles
For the waffles:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8-ounce can crushed pineapple (not drained)
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed grated carrot
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cream cheese topping:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Waffles:
- Heat waffle iron to medium-high.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, pineapple, nuts, carrot, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients just until combined.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and add 1 cup of batter, or an appropriate amount for your waffle iron.
- Cook as directed for your waffle iron or until golden brown.
For the Cream Cheese Topping
- Use a mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, or about 1 minute.
- Add the powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and salt and beat until incorporated and smooth.
- Spread on finished waffles
Recipe courtesy of Kylee’s Kitchen