MUNCIE, Ind. (April 21, 2015)- Some Indiana dogs have gotten sick from the dog flu and others have been quarantined.
Dogs at the Muncie Animal Shelter had a dog flu scare. Last week, a group of dogs went to Purdue University to be neutered and that’s where they were potentially exposed to the highly contagious virus.
For the last four days, all 70 dogs at the shelter were quarantined and adoptions were put on hold as a precautionary method.
“Fortunately all of our dogs came back negative for the dog flu virus so we are back open for business,” explains Phil Peckinpaugh, with the Muncie Animal Shelter.
The Indiana Board of Animal Health is aware of about a dozen cases.
The virus can be spread between dogs that come in contact with one another. A person who pets a sick dog can pass the virus on to a healthy dog as well.
Symptoms are very similar to when people get the flu; fever, runny nose, loss of appetite or acting tired.
Animal shelters and doggy daycares are stepping up their cleaning routines but some dog owners are still scared.
“I would say we’ve probably seen 10-15 percent pullback,” says Deb Meno, owner of Puppy Playground.
Most healthy dogs exposed to dog flu will fully recover. Younger dogs and older dogs are at the highest risk.
If you suspect your dog was exposed to dog flu call your vet and clean collars, food bowls and cages with bleach.